5 Best Managed Detect and Response (MDR) Solutions (Key Features, Pros, and Cons)
Looking for the best Managed Detection and Response (MDR) solution for your company?
Finding a tool that suits the exact needs of your business can be confusing and drain your time. But don’t worry, we’ve done all the hard work for you.
In this article, we’ve curated the five best MDR solutions along with their key features, pros, and cons. We've also suggested steps you should take to find the right solution for your company, as well as important features you need to look for in a Managed Detection and Response solution.
And we’ll also reveal our #1 pick for the best overall MDR solution.
Let’s get started.
MDR Solutions Comparison
SilverSky is one of the world's leading Managed Detection and Response platforms for threat detection, response, and cyber protection. The technology is cutting-edge and everything is delivered on-demand as a worry-free, cost-effective, scalable managed service.
- A comprehensive, centralized, and powerful platform of integrated security technologies
- Enables businesses to get the most out of the technology they already have by ingesting information from 100s of cybersecurity products. It also ensures your tech is correctly configured to improve security gaps and make sure it does what it’s supposed to do.
- Monitoring of security operations carried out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the option of signing up for SIEM on-demand and SOC on-demand
- A highly specialized team of +300 analysts and cybersecurity experts, for smooth and very efficient integration, so that there is no gap for attacks.
- Low cost. Prices Start at only $11 per user with no upfront CAPEX costs and they can help your business transform its whole stack from CAPEX to OPEXThere is an extended trial period: 60 days free trial so that you can test the tool.
- The number of tickets and notices can be intense, so if your company doesn’t have a dedicated cybersecurity team, it runs the risk of missing important alerts.
- Despite offering a consultancy service, SilverSky client companies that do not have a qualified team may find it difficult to determine what site or tool to use for each task.
Sophos Managed Detection and Response (MDR) is a solution that detects and responds to cyberattacks targeting your computers, servers, networks, cloud workloads, email accounts, and more.
- The tool has a central dashboard where the user can see real-time alerts, reporting, and management.
- Offers weekly and monthly reports provide insights into security investigations, cyber threats, and your security posture.
- Although the system offers a complete view of the different risk levels of the systems used by the company, there is not enough information about low-risk threats, which can make the company susceptible to an attack if the problem is not resolved. User feedback suggests that there are problems when the system is updated, generating instabilities that can compromise monitoring.
- There are also indications of failures when it comes to integration with other applications or machines, such as Apple computers, for example.
The Canadian company protects the critical data and applications of 1500+ organizations in 80+ countries, representing 35 industries from known and unknown cyber threats.
- The solution combines cutting-edge machine learning XDR technology, 24/7 Threat Hunting, and provides security operations leadership, eSentire mitigates business risk and enables security at scale.
- They also provide Managed Risk, Managed Detection and Response, and Incident Response services.
- User feedback suggests poor company advice after the setup, which leaves customers unassisted.
- Lack of effective recommendations on actions that prevent companies from attacks through the identified gaps.
4. Arctic Wolf
Arctic Wolf platform was built on an open XDR architecture, combining a Concierge Security® Model to work as an extension of the company's security team to increase the security posture.
Artic Wolf Pros
- Arctic Wolf Managed Detection and Response (MDR) solution provides 24×7 monitoring of the enterprise's networks, endpoints, and cloud environments, to help the companies detect, respond, and recover from modern cyber attacks.
- Works with your existing technology stack to discover and profile assets and collect data and security event observations from multiple sources.
Artic Wolf Cons
- Despite being a very complete solution, Arctic Wolf is lacking when it comes to alerts.
- Customers have reported a large number of false positives.
- The user interface isn’t very intuitive.
- The log search utility doesn't have enough documentation.
Rapid7 is a platform that unites cloud risk management and threat detection to deliver results that secure businesses. MDR is one of the company's solutions.
- Offers 24/7 monitoring and a partnership that helps deliver security strategy, shut down cyberattacks, solve skills gap challenges, and reduce risk.
- The platform has expertly vetted detections that help companies spot critical threats early in the attack chain.
- Some tools have not yet been automated, such as removing devices that have already been found or scanned. This generates unnecessary workload for the security team.
- Customers report difficulties in implementing the platform and a gap until the start of the scan, which leaves the company vulnerable.
Is MDR The Right Solution For Your Company?
MDR platform providers act as your strategic partner, working together with your company's cybersecurity team. This type of service does not work for companies that want to completely outsource the security of their business. However, it is very efficient to avoid overloading operational tasks, energy in threat investigation, and excessive alerts.
In addition, MDR platforms need to be flexible and compatible with cybersecurity solutions already used by the company.
MDR is the ideal solution for companies that:
- Already have cybersecurity solutions and want a platform that helps monitor and integrates all layers of business protection
- Want a full solution that gives a complete view of the business, that helps them scale and automate repetitive tasks
- Want a solution that, in addition to detecting threats, also has really effective responses
MDR is NOT the ideal solution for companies that:
- Need specific support related to compliance and certifications
- Don't have any existing cybersecurity solutions protecting your business right now, or are in the early stages of business development
- Want to completely outsource the security of their business
For businesses who want a complete outsource solution for their cybersecurity, there are other excellent alternatives. Haven by Corvid Defense is a great example. It offers one package for a complete cybersecurity program with a low, monthly, per-user subscription with no capital expenses or required hiring of staff.
Haven bundles some of the most advanced solutions into a highly effective platform for your protection: endpoint security with SentinelOne, network protection with Palo Alto Networks, email security with Mimecast, phishing simulations with Symbol, and 24/7 monitoring with Corvid. To learn more, visit the full page.
How to Choose The Right MDR Vendor For Your CompanyAs mentioned earlier, there are hundreds of vendors offering MDR solutions. Each has different characteristics and solutions that meet specific sectors and needs. To make the right choice, follow these steps:
- Carry out an efficient self-assessment to understand exactly your company's current needs in terms of cybersecurity
- Search in-depth for available suppliers
- Read testimonials and reviews from potential vendors' client companies
- Chat with consultants
- Make a trial to identify if the system is really compatible with the needs of the business
CyVent has performed this process with dozens of companies and our top recommendation is SilverSky. As one of the world's leading Managed Detection and Response platforms, Silversky offers a worry-free, cost-effective, scalable managed service, which is perfect for anyone looking to get the most out of the technology they already have.
Need Help Choosing and Implementing Your MDR?
CyVent can help. We have a team of experts who can help you understand your requirements and find you the best solution.
CyVent is a specialist in cybersecurity services and an advisory firm with over 100 years of combined experience and industry knowledge. Our experts will eliminate any confusion and guide you to the right cybersecurity solution for your unique system.
Click here to book a call and speak with one of our experts .